Call for papers
We invite paper proposals for our Panel “Anti-Corruption as a Contentious Arena in International Affairs”, to be held during the ECPR General Conference on 31 August – 3 September 2021 at the University of Innsbruck, Austria. The submission deadline is 8 February 2021.
Chair: Joseph Pozsgai-Alvarez (Kyoto University)
Abstract: The increasing political and academic attention to the topic of corruption has created the potential for new arenas of contention among international actors, namely (1) the use of strategic or weaponized corruption to pursue business and state interests abroad, (2) the international externalities created by a state’s dereliction of its anti-corruption commitments and/or its protection of corrupt networks, and (3) the application of legal instruments to punish actors from targeted jurisdictions. This panel aims to explore the role of corruption and anti-corruption in international relations by hosting presentations dealing with issues such as:
- The use by state-owned companies of illicit payments to secure government contracts abroad;
- The use of politically-motivated assistance and loans to countries affected by pervasive corruption;
- National corruption breeding international terrorists;
- Regulatory capture and environmental damage across borders;
- The application of sanctions against foreign actors under local anti-bribery provisions.
- Abstract (max. 500 words)
- Author(s) information (including email and affiliation)
Please submit your paper to email@example.com by 8 February 2021.